- Motor Vehicle & Property Tax Abatements
Motor Vehicle & Property Tax Abatements
Important Tax Abatement Information
Action by the Board of Assessors
The Board of Assessors attempts to process all abatement applications within three months of filing. You will be informed of the status of the application through the following notices:
- Notice of Approval - The Board of Assessors will abate the amount specified in the notice. If the tax has been paid, the taxpayer will be reimbursed through the Tax Collectors Office.
- Notice of Denial - No abatement will be granted. A denial will be issued in cases where the Board of Assessors has made a decision based on the merits of the abatement application; or for reasons of inaction, in cases where the department has not made a decision on an abatement application within three months of its filing date.
Appeal to the Appellate Tax Board
If you are dissatisfied with the decision of the Board of Assessors, you may file an appeal to the Appellate Tax Board (ATB). The ATB is located at:
100 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
The telephone number is 617-727-3100 and the fax number is 617-727-6234. You can also visit them online at the Appellate Tax Board website.
You may elect to file an appeal to the Appellate Tax Board if:
- You are dissatisfied with the amount of the abatement granted.
- You disagree with the decision of the Board of Assessors to deny the abatement application, including denial for reason of inaction by the Board of Assessors. The proper forms for an appeal can be obtained at the Appellate Tax Board.
An appeal to the Appellate Tax Board must be filed within three months of the date on which the Board of Assessors made its decision to grant or deny abatement for any reason including inaction.