Mandatory Water Restriction
Mandatory Water Restriction Now Through September 30, 2018
Effective immediately, and running through September 30, 2018, the Taunton Water Department is restricting all nonessential outdoor water use for all water users during the hours of 9 am to 5 pm daily. This action is required by the Water Management Program permit issued by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection to reduced stream flow in the Taunton River as measured by a river gauge located in Bridgewater, MA:
Non-essential water uses subject to the 9 am to 5 pm daily restriction are as follows:
- Irrigation of lawns and landscaping via sprinklers or automatic irrigation systems
- Washing of vehicles, except in commercial car wash or necessary for operator safety
- Washing of exterior building surfaces, parking lots, driveways or sidewalk, except as necessary to apply surface treatments such as paint, preservatives, stucco, pavement or cement.
- Irrigation to establish a new lawn and new plantings
- And other non-essential uses not described above. (If you have a question about whether a specific use not described is non-essential or not, please contact the Water Department.)
Uses not subject to any restrictions including the hours of 9 am to 5 pm daily:
- Those for health or safety reasons
- For the production of food or fiber
- For the maintenance of livestock
- To meet the core function of a business (for example, irrigation by plant nurseries to maintain stock)
- Watering of lawns, gardens, flowers and ornamental plants by means of a hand-held hose; and by regulation
Any person violating a water restriction shall be issued a warning for the first violation. A second violation shall be subject to a fine of $100. Subsequent violations shall be subject to a fine of $200. Each day that a violation continues shall count as a separate violation. After a 4th violation, the water service may be shut off for failure of complying with the restrictions. It will not be turned on until after all fines and fees have been paid by bank check/money order.
Voted into Action
By vote of the Taunton Municipal Council on June 12, 2018.