Solid Waste & Recycling
Trash & Recycle Curbside Collection
The City of Taunton Rolls On with the Automated Recycle Program and the 95-Gallon Wheeled Recycling Carts!
As the City continues to service curbside residents with automated recycle collection please remember:
- The City's recycle collection is on an every other week basis. Recycle collection is the same day as scheduled trash collection, but recycle collection occurs every other week
- Half the City should set out recycling carts on "A week"
- Half the City should set out recycling carts for "B week"
- To view the complete list of "A week" and "B week" addresses, view the City of Taunton Trash and Recycle Collection Schedule (PDF)
Trash collection will continue to be picked up on your scheduled trash day every week, including the weeks your recyclables are not picked up. Residents should continue to set out trash in the City's orange pay-as-you-throw trash bags.
- View the list of retailers selling City PAYT Trash Bags (PDF)
Helpful Hints for a Proper Set Out in the 95-Gallon Recycling Carts
Massachusetts Waste Disposal Ban - changes in effect November 1, 2022
Starting November 1, 2022, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will implement new waste ban disposal regulations that will require all residents to keep mattresses, box springs, and textiles out of the trash. These new mandates require mattresses, box springs, and textiles be recycled or donated for reuse. In order to comply with the new requirements, the City of Taunton can no longer allow mattresses or box springs to be collected as bulk waste. Other bulk waste items, like upholstered chairs, furniture and sofas will still be allowable waste collected through the City's curbside program.
The City of Taunton is partnering with a contractor, HandUp, to meet the new state mandates. Residents seeking to recycle a mattress or box spring will have the option of utilizing curbside recycle services with HandUp or can bring unit(s) to the City's Convenience Center located at 340 East Britannia. There is a $35 per unit fee. This fee was approved by the City Council on September 20, 2022. A mattress and a box spring together are considered to be two units. Payment may be made online at https://www.handupmattress.com/curbside-pickup via debit or credit card or in person at the Convenience Center via cash, check, money order, or credit card. Units that are excessively wet, heavily soiled or visibly contain mold and/or bed bugs will be considered ineligible units and will not be accepted at the Convenience Center and may require an additional disposal fee for the curbside service option.
Taunton Public Schools has been partnering with Bay State Textiles as a recycling solution for unwanted textiles and school fundraiser. Bay State Textile donation boxes are located outside of each Taunton Public School and accessible for public use. For every ton of textiles collected, Taunton Schools receives a rebate of $100! Clean, dry footwear, clothing, accessories, linens, stuffed animals, etc. are acceptable items for recycling. Visit, https://www.baystatetextiles.com for more information about the program or to locate a donation box.
City's Yard Waste Collection Weeks
- Week of October 24, 2022 with collection concurring with residents' trash collection day
- Week of November 14, 2022 with collection concurring with residents' trash collection day
- Week of April 23, 2023 with collection concurring with residents' trash collection day
City's Christmas Tree Collection Week
- Week of January 9, 2023 with collection concurring with residents' trash collection day
City's Household Hazardous Waste Day
- Saturday, August 27, 2022
- Saturday, August 26, 2023
For more information, please contact the City's Curbside Collection Contractor (Republic Services).