Solid Waste & Recycling
Trash & Recycle Curbside Collection
The City of Taunton Rolls On with the Automated Recycle Program and the 95-Gallon Wheeled Recycling Carts!
As the City continues to service curbside residents with automated recycle collection please remember:
- The City's recycle collection is on an every other week basis. Recycle collection is the same day as scheduled trash collection, but recycle collection occurs every other week
- Half the City should set out recycling carts on "A week"
- Half the City should set out recycling carts for "B week"
- To view the complete list of "A week" and "B week" addresses, view the City of Taunton Trash and Recycle Collection Schedule (PDF)
Trash collection will continue to be picked up on your scheduled trash day every week, including the weeks your recyclables are not picked up. Residents should continue to set out trash in the City's orange pay-as-you-throw trash bags.
- View the list of retailers selling City PAYT Trash Bags
Helpful Hints for a Proper Set Out in the 95-Gallon Recycling Carts
Massachusetts Waste Disposal Ban - changes in effect November 1, 2022
Starting November 1, 2022, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will implement new waste ban disposal regulations that will require all residents to keep mattresses, box springs, and textiles out of the trash. These new mandates require mattresses, box springs, and textiles be recycled or donated for reuse. In order to comply with the new requirements, the City of Taunton can no longer allow mattresses or box springs to be collected as bulk waste. Other bulk waste items, like upholstered chairs, furniture and sofas will still be allowable waste collected through the City's curbside program.
The City of Taunton is partnering with a contractor, HandUp, to meet the new state mandates. Residents seeking to recycle a mattress or box spring can bring unit(s) to the City's Convenience Center located at 330 East Britannia. There is a $35 per unit fee. This fee was approved by the City Council on September 20, 2022. A mattress and a box spring together are considered to be two units. Payment may be made in person at the Convenience Center via cash, check, money order, or credit card. Units that are excessively wet, heavily soiled or visibly contain mold and/or bed bugs will be considered ineligible units and will not be accepted at the Convenience Center.
The City of Taunton and Taunton Public Schools has been partnering with Bay State Textiles as a recycling solution for unwanted textiles and school fundraiser. Bay State Textile donation boxes are located outside of each Taunton Public School and accessible for public use. For every ton of textiles collected, Taunton Schools receives a rebate of $100! In addition, the City has a donation box at the Convenience Center. Clean, dry footwear, clothing, accessories, linens, stuffed animals, etc. are acceptable items for recycling. Visit, https://www.baystatetextiles.com for more information about the program or to locate a donation box.
City's Yard Waste Collection Weeks
- Week of October 30, 2023 with collection concurring with residents' trash collection day
- Week of November 13, 2023 with collection concurring with residents' trash collection day
- Week of April 22, 2024 with collection concurring with residents' trash collection day
City's Christmas Tree Collection Week
- Week of January 8, 2024 with collection concurring with residents' trash collection day
City's Household Hazardous Waste Day
- Saturday, August 26, 2023
- Saturday, August 24, 2024
For more information, please contact the City's Curbside Collection Contractor (Republic Services).