Hazardous Materials

National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) PlacardThe purpose of this regulation is to protect, preserve, and maintain the environment and the public health in the City as well as its water reserves from contamination and exposure to hazardous materials. This regulation is based and related to those regulations set forth by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and/or other local, state, and federal regulations and Department of Transportation standards.

All businesses in the City of Taunton that use, generate, or store hazardous materials need to be permitted by the Board of Health.

To begin the process, businesses need to first fill out an Electronic Application via the link below.

There is a one time only plan review fee of $50.

  • $50 per CLASS for establishments under 3,000 square feet
  • $100 per CLASS for establishments 3,000 square feet and over
  • Calculation for establishments under 3,000 square feet
    • (Number of classes) multiplied by $50 = Total
  • Calculation for establishments 3,000 square feet and over:
    • (Number of classes) multiplied by $100 = Total

Emergency Phone List for the City of Taunton

Danger - Safety Glasses Required in This Area SignIn the event of an emergency with hazardous materials, please utilize the following numbers:

  • Fire Department: 508-824-4022
  • DEP Office of Incident Response: 508-946-2850
  • DEP South East Regional Office: 508-946-2700
  • CHEMTREC: 800-424-9300
  • CHEMTEL: 800-255-3924
  • Right-to-Know Information - Material Safety Data SheetsNational Response Centers: 800-424-8802
  • Board of Health: 508-821-1400
  • Morton Hospital: 508-828-7000

Register a Complaint

To register a complaint, please call 508-821-1400 so that your issue can be addressed in a timely manner.