The GAR Memorial Trust announced two $1,000 scholarships to be offered to graduating high school seniors who are residents of the City of Taunton.
The GAR Memorial Trust was formed by the Sons and Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War to perpetuate the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic and of all who fought to preserve the Union during the Civil War (1861 to 1865).
Scholarships of equal amount will be awarded in the name of the Grand Army of the Republic/Sons and Daughters of Union Veterans.
Scholarships shall be applied to students' college expenses and shall be awarded on a showing of demonstrated academic ability and/or economic need. Students who have a family member who has served in the armed forces shall be given special consideration.
Scholarships shall be awarded after screening and consultation with the Trustee representative (as designated by the Trustees) and the appropriate scholarship committee for each school.
Questions concerning eligibility may be directed to the Camp Commander of the Taunton Sons of Union Veterans of The Civil War via email, or to your high school Guidance Department.
Steps to Apply
Check with your high school Guidance Department on how to obtain the application form and any school specific steps.
- Fill out the standard application for each high school accepting Taunton residents.
- Prepare a 500 word essay that is well thought out and is neatly written or typed that covers the topic, "The American Civil War".
- Obtain a copy of your high school transcript.
- When completed, please return your application form, your transcript and your essay to the address provided on the application form.
- Application must be received by Friday, May 5, 2023 in order to be considered.
Awards will be given to each recipient at City Hall. Successful scholarship recipients are required to provide verification that the scholarship award was applied to their college expenses for tuition, books, lab expenses, etc. This verification can be delivered via email to CClymens@taunton-ma.gov or mailed to:
City Treasurer, City Hall
15 Summer Street
Taunton, MA, 02780