Revaluation FAQs

What if I refuse to let assessment personnel in my property?

All assessing staff will have an identification card with their picture on it. Our phone number is 508-821-1011 if you need verification. To ensure accurate assessment, it is to your advantage to allow an assessor inside your property when an inspection is required. You are not required by law to allow the inspection, but you should be aware that by denying an inspection, you might lose some statutory rights if you feel the need to appeal your assessment.

What will happen to my assessment if I improve my property?

Generally speaking, improvements that increase the market value of a property will increase the assessment. The following examples are typical items that may increase the assessed value of property:

  • Added rooms or garage
  • Substantial modernization of kitchen or bath
  • Central air-conditioning
  • Fireplaces
  • Extensive remodeling
  • In-ground pools/ sheds/ barns

Will my assessment go up if I repair my property?

Normal maintenance will help retain the market value of your property, but generally will not increase your assessment. Significant repairs of serious structural deficiencies may have an affect on value.

How can my assessment change when I haven't done anything to my property?

General economic conditions such as interest rates, inflation rates, and changes in the tax levy influence the value of real estate. As property values change in the marketplace, those changes will be reflected on the assessment roll.

Will the person who inspects my property be able to tell me my new assessment?

No. If an inspection is necessary on your property, we have to analyze all the information gathered before placing a value on it. We will then further review this information to ensure your assessment corresponds fairly to the assessments of other properties.

What if I don't agree with my assessment?

Talk with an assessor. During the informal public review period you can learn how your assessment was made, what factors were considered, and what type of records we have on your property.

What if, after the bill goes out, I still disagree with the assessment?

You have the right to file an abatement application with the Assessing Department by the due date of the third quarter tax bill. The Board of Assessors has three months on which to act on your application. They will notify you on an approved Department of Revenue form of their decision at that time.

What if I still disagree with the decision from the Board of Assesors?

If you disagree with the decision of the Board of Assessors, you may elect to file an appeal to the Appellate Tax Board, located at 100 Cambridge Street, Suite 200, Boston, Ma 02114. The telephone number is 617-727-3100, or visit them on line at the Appellate Tax Board website.