The Taunton Redevelopment Authority (TRA) is an independent public authority established pursuant to Massachusetts General Law Ch.121B. The Authority is governed by Five (5) members, Four (4) of whom are appointed by the Mayor and One of whom is appointed by the Governor. While it is not a City Department, its mission includes the development and implementation of urban redevelopment and renewal programs and policies to encourage reinvestment by means of development of underutilized areas that will lead to job creation, added housing opportunities, a mix of commercial and industrial uses, an improved tax base and a better quality of life for all residents of Taunton. The TRA will function as a catalyst in fostering public/private partnerships.
The Taunton Redevelopment Authority shall have the following responsibility;
- Under General Laws chapter 121 B Section 5, as well as Section 7. A redevelopment authority shall elect from among its members a chairman and a vice-chairman, and may employ counsel, an executive director who shall be ex officio secretary of the authority,
- Establish rehabilitation and design standards;
- Assemble and dispose of land, including the taking of real estate through eminent domain;
- Relocate businesses and residents occupying property in urban renewal areas;
- Demolish and / or rehabilitate substandard structures;
- Participate in real estate development and commercial revitalization;
- Issue bonds, borrow money, invest funds, and receive grants; and
- Accept gifts or requests.
|William Roth||(508) 821-1030|
Ed Correira, Chairman